Get a Library Card
Ways to Apply
Apply in person in the library, or apply online.
Before creating a new patron record, the individual must obtain the following:
- Current, valid Massachusetts Driver’s license or Massachusetts State Identification Card with current address.
- One document from Section 1 AND one document from Section 2 below.
Section 1. Proof of identification –current or expired (i.e. driver's license, passport, school ID)
- Alien Resident Card
- Government issued cards, such as Military ID
- State issued photo ID including welfare, Medicaid or FID card
- University or school ID
Section 2. Proof of current local address* (must include applicant’s name)
- Utility bill or tax bill (dated within the last 60 days), an eBill can also be accepted
- Imprinted bank check or deposit slip
- Official school schedule with applicant’s name and address typed on it
- Official letter verifying residency and mailing address dated within last 30 days from a social service provider, temporary employer that provides housing, or a short-term residence
- Postcard mailed to applicant from the library
No longer acceptable as proof of current address: lease agreements, rent receipts, and personal letters.
*a Post Office Box or business address is not sufficient – a current residential address is required.
Children & Teen Applicants
If applicant is under 13 years old, parent or legal guardian must provide proof of identification and address. A child must be present for a parent or legal guardian to get them a library card.
If applicant is between the ages of 13 and 17 and cannot meet the ID and address requirements, parent or guardian must provide proof of identification and address. A teen must be present for a parent or legal guardian to get them a library card.
Reporting a Lost Card
You can report a lost card by phone or in person. Until a card is reported lost, the cardholder is responsible for all materials checked out to the card, including any items that have been claimed to have been returned.
Expired Library Card
Library cards must be renewed in person. To update your library account status, bring your expired library card and photo ID to the Circulation Desk.