My True Story
Enter WFPL’s Writing Contest for Teens!
We are accepting submissions about your experiences during the COVID-19 pandemic. You are invited to submit prose works of 600 to 2,500 words to be judged by a panel of WFPL staff. Your writing will be evaluated for creativity, style and voice.
Because your experiences are very important, all entries will be bound together and kept as part of the WFPL’s local history collection. (We will not include names or other identifying information without your permission).
There will be two categories of awards: Middle School (grades 6-8) and High School (grades 9-12)
- Your work must be original.
- You must live or go to school in Watertown.
- Please include your first and last name, grade and email address in your document.
- Entries must be typed and double-spaced.
- Your entry must be submitted as a Word doc or a PDF.
- If you are a Watertown Public School student, please email your submission to firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you are not a Watertown Public School student, submit your entry using this form or submit your entry as an attachment to LibraryTeenDepartment@watertown-ma.gov
Entries will be accepted through June 10, 2020.
- 1st Place Middle School: $100 Amazon gift card
- 2nd Place Middle School: $50 Amazon gift card
- 1st Place High School: $100 Amazon gift card
- 2nd Place High School: $50 Amazon gift card
Hints on How to Get Started
To help get you started, here are some prompts for you to consider. Don’t feel like you have to use one of these – they are just examples.
- What is daily life like for you? How has Covid-19 affected your everyday activities and what adjustments have you had to make?
- How has this time period changed you? Talk about the good things and the bad things and anything in between.
- How do you feel you have made a difference during this time? Have you volunteered or done community service, for example?
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact email@example.com