We just want to be your everything.
There are so many people who visit the Children's Room at the library, but never come upstairs to the Adult Department. We have patrons who come in every day to use the computers, but never borrow materials. There are people who call to reserve books and pick them up at circulation, but don't know that we have public computers on the 2nd floor. At the Watertown Free Public Library, we offer so many services, we realize that it's hard to keep up with it all, so I thought I'd take a minute to run through some of the highlights for you. Take a peek: you may discover something wonderful you've been missing!
You hear a lot about eBooks and eAudiobooks and eReaders and sometimes it's hard to know what to make of it all. Here's the story:
• If you own an e-reader (Kindle, Nook, Kobo, etc.), you can borrow e-books from the Minuteman Library Network free of charge using our Overdrive interface.
• If you don't own an e-reader, but want to see what they're all about, we have Nooks, Kindles, and iPads available for check-out. These devices come preloaded with a large selection of classics and current bestsellers, so there's sure to be something you'll fancy.
• If you were gifted an e-reader and have no idea what to do with it, we offer free computer classes that include "How to Download Library Books to your (insert device name here) using OverDrive."
• If you have a listening device (iPod, computer, MP3 player) and like to listen to books, we can help with that, too. eAudiobooks are also available via OverDrive.
If you like to visit Museums, we have passes that can get you free or discounted admission to many Massachusetts favorites!
Just call the Circulation Desk or visit our website for more information.
We strive to buy a wide variety of materials to match the reading tastes of our community. But if you ever find that we don't have something you'd like, please ask us!
We can often request it for you from another library (they'll send it to Watertown for you to pick up), and sometimes we'll purchase a copy for the library.
We have lots more than books!
• We have DVDs, Blu-Rays, and VHS (yes, we still have some VHS!), including a sizeable collection of foreign films.
• We have music CDs to suit any taste.
• If you like to listen to your stories, we have a large collection of Books on CD, but we also have many titles on Playaway, which is a portable digital book you can hold in the palm of your hand. All you need is a AAA Battery and headphones! (And don't forget all of the eAudiobooks available for download through OverDrive!!!)
• You like to play games? We carry games at all levels for Playstation 3, XBox 360, and Wii. The Teen and Children's Departments carry additional titles and formats, as well!
• Did you know that the WFPL subscribes to over 200 newspapers and magazines -- and that you can check most of them out? It's true!
Are you learning English?
• We carry books and periodicals in a variety of languages!
• We have a sizable ESL collection
• Project Literacy, located in the libaray, offers one-on-one English tutoring, English classes, and conversation groups.
We have classes!
We offer a regular rotation of top-notch computer classes -- all free of charge! So whether you're just booting up (that's turning on!) a computer for the first time, or if you want a course in Advanced Excel, we can help! Contact the Reference Desk at 617-972-6436 for more information on upcoming classes.
We can deliver!
We offer homebound delivery services for our patrons who can't make it in to see us. If you have need of assistance, please let us know.
We have online resources you may not have dreamed of!
Want to price some antiques in your attic? Repair your 66 'Corvette? Learn to speak Korean? Buy a new dishwasher? We can help!!
"Databases" sounds so boring and stuffy, but sometimes you need to research a topic and you find you need more information than we have in the books on our shelves. The WFPL subscribes to a long list of databases and online resources, all of which have been carefully chosen to give the broadest possible access to information. Feel free to stop by the Reference Desk and let us know what you need to do: we can help point you to the best resources, and demonstrate how to use them.
If you love to read, we welcome you to borrow books - many and often! But if you want more, we're here with more.
Hope to see you at the library!
Written by Reference Librarian Jill