Immigration Legal Consultations with Greater Boston Legal Services
Beginning Tuesday, Jan. 17th | 6-8 PM By appointment
Second Tuesdays of the Month, 6-8 PM By appointment
Register for a free immigration legal consultation with a representative from Greater Boston Legal Services at the Watertown Free Public Library by calling 617-603-1808.
To be eligible for citizenship, you must:
- have been a permanent resident for at least five years. If you are married to a US citizen you maybe be eligible after three years.
- have lived continuously in the US for the last five years. If you left the country for more than six months in a row or have been out of the country for more than thirty months total you may not be eligible.
- be 18 or older
- be able to pass an English and civics test.
- must be a person of “good moral character”
- paid your taxes
- not broken any laws
- Make sure you qualify.
- Fill out the N-400 application online or pick up a paper application in Project Literacy. If you need help filling out the form please contact us.
- Mail application with:
- A copy of both sides your green card
- A check for $725 make out to “US Department of Homeland Security.” Make sure your name, address and phone number are on the check. Write “N-400 Fee” on the memo line.
- If you are low income you may be eligible for a waiver here.
- Send everything to:
P.O. Boz 66060
Dallas, TX 75266
- You should receive a confirmation letter within a few weeks.
- After that you will receive another letter telling you where to get your fingerprints taken.
- Later you will get another letter from USCIS telling you when and where you need to go for your interview.
Practice Tests and Study Guides
American History: U.S. history and civics for citizenship
USA Learns: Free English and citizenship courses. The courses include video lessons as well as interactive assignments that are self-grading.
Test Help Through WFPL
A Library card is required to access these resources
Brainfuse: Online study guides and practice tests for U.S. Citizenship.
Peterson's Test Prep: Online study guides and practice tests U.S. Citizenship.
You can check the status of your application by calling the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) hotline at 1-800-375-5283. If you have your receipt notice, you can also check your status online on the USCIS website.